Yeast is present in so many foods we consume such as drinks, bread and even probiotic formulas. You may also want to consider adding it to your nutritional system and skin care routine. Why? Because it has magical benefits for our skin and health.
What exactly is yeast?
Yeast is a type of microorganisms that is a group of single-celled fungi. As fungi, they are the most well known among people, including:
- Baker’s yeast,
- The molds that ripen blue cheese,
- The molds that produce antibiotics for medical use,
Under the monocle of the microscope, yeast cells appear in the shape of an egg and they cannot be seen only under the microscope because 20,000,000,000 (twenty billion) yeast cells weigh one gram!
The scientific name for it is Saccharomyces Cerevisiae, or “sugar-eating fungus”. A very long name for such a tiny organism! But this tiny organism has many nutritional and cosmetic benefits.
This nutritional microorganism is a better source of vitamins , minerals and proteins mentioned below:
- Vitamins B-1, B-2, B-6, B-12, and B-3
Its main benefits are:
1 / Boost energy
It naturally contains vitamin B12 , and some manufacturers fortify it with another dose of this vitamin (it is best to check the label) which helps boost energy, and fight weakness and fatigue. It is especially useful for vegans because this vitamin is found mainly in animal products.
Adults need about 2.4 mcg of vitamin B-12 per day while just a quarter cup of yeast provides more than seven times that amount.
2 / Supporting the immune system
The yeast strain in nutritional yeast can:
- Support the immune system
- Reduce inflammation resulting from bacterial infection
- Be useful in the treatment of diarrhea
- Lower blood sugar and cholesterol
3 / Reduce blood sugar and cholesterol
Some research on chromium-enriched yeast, which is usually brewer’s yeast , has shown that this element can reduce blood sugar and cholesterol.
4 / Promote a healthy pregnancy
It can also contribute to a healthy pregnancy. The US Preventive Services Task Force advises all women considering pregnancy to take 400 to 800 mcg of folic acid daily to prevent birth defects and promote fetal growth. It is also a good source of folic acid.
The nutritional type of this fermentation agent comes in the form of:
It has a nutty or cheesy flavor.
Ideas for using nutritional yeast in your recipes:
- Add it to popcorn instead of butter or salt
- A vegan alternative to a cheese sauce: replace parmesan cheese with nutritional yeast in a rizotto recipe, or as an ingredient in a vegan macaroni and cheese dish, mix it into a nut roast or stuffing
- Adding it to creamy soups or scrambled eggs (or tofu scramble for vegans)
Kombucha: the multi-benefit drink
Kombucha is a drink made from green or black tea (or both), sugar, yeast and bacteria. It is a traditional drink originating from China. These ingredients are added to sweetened tea and left to ferment for a few weeks until it turns into a slightly sweet and sour drink. It contains B vitamins, antioxidants and probiotics.
Many beauty brands, use this microorganism as a powerful active ingredient in their formulas. It is super moisturizing, anti-aging, collagen producing and brightening because the antioxidants in this fermentation agent help maintain the integrity of the skin:
- Ensures skin stays hydrated : It contains lipids that help moisturize and nourish the skin, thus increasing skin’s moisture levels.
- Promotes skin integrity : It is rich in vitamin B, which helps promote skin integrity.
- Rebalance the skin , and fight against acne, seborrhea and other similar conditions.
- Anti-oxidants : As a source of free radical-fighting beta-glucan, it has got excellent anti-oxidant properties.
- Improve collagen synthesis : It produces amino acids and peptides that help skin cell renewal, which improves collagen synthesis.
All of these functions help to improve the skin’s radiance .
How to get all the benefits of brewer’s yeast for the skin?
For a glowing and hydrated skin, try this brewer’s yeast mask :
- Mix 4 teaspoons in a bowl with water until you get a smooth paste.
- Apply this mask to your face and leave it on for about 5-10 minutes,
- Rinse off the mask with lukewarm water.
For combination or oily skin, we recommend using a brewer’s yeast mask:
- Mix 2 tablespoons of brewer’s yeast with orange blossom water in a bowl
- Let the paste swell a little before applying it to your face in a thick layer
- Let it rest for 20-25 minutes.
- Rinse with clean water
How to use brewer’s yeast to have a beautiful hair?
Stimulate the synthesis of keratin: brewer’s yeast promotes hair growth and shine by stimulating the synthesis of keratin.
Do not hesitate to take brewer’s yeast tablets for shiny and strong hair.
Does yeast allergy exist?
Yes, actually some people could be allergic to this ingredient. This allergy occurs because the immune system does not accept it and therefore treats it as an enemy.
People who are allergic to this fermentation agent may experience several symptoms that range from mild to severe:
- Gastrointestinal problems such as diarrhea, bloating, flatulence and stomach upset.
- Anaphylaxis, a severe allergic reaction to this ingredient that can cause breathing difficulties and low blood pressure.
- Water retention
If you experience these or other symptoms after taking a food containing yeast, we recommend that you consult your doctor to determine if you are allergic to this ingredient and avoid its health side effects.
Now it’s your turn to tell us, if you have tried yeast before as a cosmetic product and how does it help you to take care of your skin and body.